One of my favorite bloggers is Bethany at The Glamorous Housewife. You can find her blog here and her youtube channel here. I love her “Making It Modern” videos, in which she finds a weird, often disgusting-sounding vintage American recipe, prepares it, and then tastes it for the first time on camera. (This is sometimes hilarious to watch!) Then she “modernizes” that recipe by recreating it to fit our modern day taste palettes (taking the disgusting factors out).
Just today, I watched her modernize Raspberry Chicken Jell-O Salad (seriously!) from a 1960’s Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. Her modernized recipe looked so delicious that I had to try it myself! However, I did make just a few minor changes to her recipe, and wanted to share them here. Some things I did differently was use an extra cup of chopped chicken, less apple, omitted the mint, replaced the Greek yogurt with much lower carb sour cream, and the honey with sugar-free raspberry Torani syrup. I also added a bit of goat cheese. I estimate my version to have about 8 carbs per serving.
It’s been so hot here lately and we have no air-conditioning, so I knew I didn’t want to be using my stove or oven in the evening when the sun hits the hardest. I wanted to serve something cold, yet satisfying. I boiled my chicken early in the morning while things were still cool, placed it in the fridge, and then assembled my salad later in the afternoon. I chilled it in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving. My family loved it! My 14yo said, “This salad is like nothing I’ve ever tasted…there are so many different flavors going on….it’s really good!” It was a perfectly refreshing dinner on a very hot evening. It was also nice that I could make it ahead and had no meal prep to worry about during the hottest part of the day.
I love the combination of the chicken, crunchy celery and almonds, tart green apples, and sweet raspberries all coated with a homemade, tangy raspberry dressing. So delish! If you serve this on a bed of lettuce in lieu of bread, or as filling in a lettuce wrap, it is a perfect low-carb summer meal, too! How cool is that?
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Torani sugar-free raspberry syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup diced green apple
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 ounces raspberries
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Fresh, crisp lettuce (like Romaine or iceberg), chopped
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing until smooth; set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except for the lettuce in a large bowl. Spoon dressing over salad and toss gently. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, place chopped lettuce in a bowl. Add chicken salad on top. Or, use large leaves of lettuce and fill with chicken salad to make a low-carb wrap.